Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Perfect Love

"Such love has no fear, because perfect love expels all fear. If we are afraid, it is for fear of punishment, and this shows that we have not fully experienced his perfect love."
1John 4:18 NLT

Many times as Believers we come to God with a performance based mentality. Which says, that if I do good God will love me, if I say the right things, act the right way and never "mess up" God will love me and be able to use me. It is true that as Believers we are to keep ours selves from idols (any thing that takes the place of God, 1John 5:21) and obey His Commandments. In 1John 2:15-16 the Apostle John exhorts Believers not to love the world nor anything it offers, and we are to walk in the light as God is in the light (1John 1:7).

There are times though, when we can become unbalanced and feel that if I'm not doing the right things or if I have failed God, he doesn't love me anymore. That is called imperfect love, which is performance based and it produces fear in our lives. In verse 15-16 of 1John 4 it says, "All who confess that Jesus is the Son of God have God living in them, and they live in God. We know how much God loves us, and we have put our trust in his love."
Imperfect love does not rely on the work of the cross, but on ones own performance. When we understand that God's love is not based on our performance, but His mercy through Jesus' sacrifice on the cross, there should not be any "unbalanced" fear of judgment.

Our heavenly Father loves us with out conditions, His Son paid the price for our sins and He accepts into His family with no conditions attached, pimples and smelly feet and and all!

Rest in His wonderful love.

prayer:
Father, I thank You for Your divine love, which is so much greater than any love here on earth. It is greater than any earthly mother or fathers love and it is not dependent on my performance but on Your grace and abounding mercy. Thank You for giving Your Son, Jesus, for me and redeeming me from my sin and shame. I bless Your wonderful and matchless Name, the Name of Jesus. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment