Tuesday, June 26, 2012

contrition

"The sacrifices of God are a broken spirit: a broken and a contrite heart, O God, thou wilt not despise."                Psalm 51:17




God desires brokenness and contrition in our lives. Psalm 51 was written by David after his tragic sin of adultery and murder with Bathsheba and her husband Uriah. David is crying out to God in repentance and brokenness for his sin that he had committed, he asks the Lord to cleanse him and to create in him a clean heart and to renew his spirit. Then he confesses that it is not sacrifice and offerings that God desires from him (animal sacrifice), but a broken and a contrite heart.  


We also need to know that God is not desiring outward works to please him but an inward sensitivity and yielding to His Spirit. Where we are quick to recognize when we do not please Him, when we offend Him, when we do not walk in His commandments. Quick to recognize His leading, to obey Him. David was restored to a right relationship with his Lord because of his brokenness and contrition. So we also need to walk in the same sensitivity and contrition.

Prayer:
Father, I ask in the name of Jesus to create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me daily. That You would make me sensitive to Your dealings with me. That I would recognize the leading of Your blessed Spirit and that I would walk in Your perfect plan and desire for my life everyday. I praise You and ask it all in Jesus name. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment